Sunday, July 09, 2006

Crazy `Bout a Mercury

Since I posted about my father's 1974 Cadillac El Dorado convertible last week, I thought I'd show off my pride and joy from when I was growing up.


Yup, that's a 19 year old CeeElCee wearing a Mexican wedding shirt stretched out in the back seat of a 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible. My father bought the car new in 1969, and I started washing it weekly when I turned 12 with the hopes that I could someday buy it from him. It had originally been special ordered for Roy Orbison, who wanted the 460 cubic inch Lincoln Continental limousine engine instead of the standard 400. Apparently Roy changed his mind and my dad bought it on the spot.

This baby could pass anything but a gas station! It was tough on my lawn-mowing income, so I tended to do stuff like driving it to Centennial Park next to the lake and parking it for the afternoon. I optimistically nicknamed it "The Poon Mobile," but in high school I might as well have called it "The Masturbatorium."

In case I ever found myself in a serious drag-racing situation and was at a loss for words, I kept a post-it note attached to the dashboard with the following quote from Hunter S. Thompson's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas":

“Alright, you chickenshit wimps! You pansies! When this goddamn light flips green, I’m gonna stomp down on this thing and blow every one of you gutless punks off the road!”

I never even got a parking ticket.

9 Comments:

Blogger Sharon Collie said...

You sure that picture wasn't made in 1969?


The Poon Mobile....You are wrong for dat.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Squirrel Queen said...

Why, with someone as threatening and tough as you behind the wheel of that sweet mobile, even James Dean wouldn't dare challenge you to a race.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice feet.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Squirrel Queen said...

You know what they say about the size of a man's feet (smirk)

6:32 PM  
Blogger ceeelcee said...

That's why I always try to keep them in the foreground, like holding a fish at arms' length for the official phootgraph.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Busy Mom said...

I will never look at you the same again.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

I am seriously in love with this car.
Poon Mobile ... Heh heh

11:13 AM  
Blogger CalienteDiablo said...

Beautiful Auto.
I purchased one brand new--Ivory with Gold interior in July of 1969--it had the 2-barrel 429 and got decent gas mileage on the highway. Very few of those made.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i just bought one the same as that one

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home