Friday, July 07, 2006

I Take a Trip to the Meet Market

Wow, that wasn't what I expected. To be honest I thought the Nashville Blogger Meet-up would be what everyone was trepidatiously predicted in their individual posts: a middle school dance full of introverted endomorphs and extroverted ectomorphs nervously shifting their weight from foot to foot as they kept their backs against the wall. What I encountered was a damn fun party.

First of all, thanks to WKRN and Brittney for herding all these cats together. Some folks I had met already, but it's always good to see Aunt B., Kat Coble and Sista Smiff. (Note-I have consciously decided to be lazy and not link to all these names. If you want to go to their sites, they're all on my blogroll over here --->.) B. was, as always, the belle of the ball. She acted as a wonderful cruise director, introducing shy people to each other and pulling the bolder bloggers (I'm looking at you, Sarcastro) off of the weaker ones. I wish I could have spent more time with her, but a future lunch date was promised.

Kat and her ever-patient husband offered a sense of groundedness to the otherwise manic crowd. I'm hoping for some post-bike ride BBQ with them on a Saturday soon. I'll be eating the BBQ, not taking the bike ride.

And Sista Smiff...ah, Sista. At a certain point, I'm going to have to start rejecting the old "I'm just a shy wallflower" act. Her ease with people she'd only read but never met revealed a grace I don't think she knows she has. Not ballerina grace. More like a squirrel walking along a power line. Always gotta love spending time wiff Sista Smiff!

Speaking of squirrels, Dresden was in the hizz-ouse with the much aniticipated appearance of Newscoma and Squirrels on Snark. They were everything I expected and more. I shall wear my newly-glommed psychozilla t-shirt with pride. There are beers in our future, ladies.

I got to meet the Rexes, Hammock and L. Camino, and I gotta say I'm big fans of both. Rex the elder and I caught up on our business encounters in previous lives and had an interesting talk about the perils of inheritance taxes. Rex the Redder and I talked about how much I dig his MySpace mp3's. Maybe someday I can contribute some inferior rhythm guitar to a track.

Busy Mom and Lindsay Ferrier cemented their status as blogger mom royalty. Not being a mom myself, I still love reading them. And getting to talk with them about subjects outside of the blogosphere was a treat. Admitting to Lindsay and Brittney that I still don't miss an episode of the Real World on MTV was a catharsis. Writing that fact on my own blog is stupid.

Got to meet Jag and her hip Ziggy eye shadow! (Stardust, not the fat bald little comic dude.) I hope I made enough of an impression to move up a category to the "Locals I've Met" group. Any lady who shoots whiskey is a friend of mine!

Fate couldn't do it and Aunt B. couldn't do it, but WKRN finally brought me and Sarcastro together. Our talk was short and revolved around the much-missed Nashville Knucklehead/Dr. Funkenswine. We definitely could have used his presence at the party as well as some of his bbq. I'll have to meet Sarcastro at the Mothership some time soon.

Kathy T. was every bit as funny as I thought she'd be. If I'm ever buying a house in the Smyrna/Lavergne area, she's who I'm calling and you should be too. And I got to see her do the double thumbs up!

Finally, Short & Fat. You lying sack of crap! I'm not going to tell you whether he's not short or he's not fat, but take my word for it, he's lying about something. But he is as hilarious in real life as he is on my monitor and I wouldn't want to compete with him on the frozen pond or with a plastic disculoid in his hand. The military claims that he has a "body age" of 89, but then again they pay $3000.00 for a wrench, so what the hell do they know...

To any others who I met but didn't mention, the omission is totally my fault due to the fact that my darn phone is ringing off the hook this morning and I have to get back to work. I enjoyed talking to everyone at the party. I'm always game for meeting new interesting people.

Again, thanks to Mike Sechrist, Brittney and WKRN for bring this "Island of Misfit Toys" party together. I hope we can do it again soon.

9 Comments:

Blogger Suburban Turmoil said...

It was great meeting you! :)

9:23 AM  
Blogger Sharon Collie said...

What in the Rex L. Camino is a "disculoid?"

You and that faincy edjukayshun.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Busy Mom said...

Great to see you again! I'm looking forward to our next outing for some real BBQ.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

Beer, copious amounts of beer.
I look forward to seeing you and Ruabelle in the future.
Anticipated?
You should have seen me accidentally launch a beer in Kleinheider's direction while I was laughing with Rex L.
Yikes!
You are, delightful and Rodent Queen and I were smitten.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Rex L. Camino said...

I meant to talk to you about your current line of work, as it is slightly related to mine, I think (provided that I'm correctly recalling the line of work that Knuck L. Head attributed to you).

12:21 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Consider yourself moved on up, Jefferson style.

I'm always down for whiskey.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, now I'm pissed. I blew an opportunity to meet you.

Were it not for the fact that I got to meet the hot Suburban Turmoil, ex-television star chick, I'd be really, really pissed. (Damn you Dennis Ferrier)

Anyway, let me know when you guys are planning another Mothership lunch, and hopefully I'll get another chance.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Kathy T. said...

You say I'm funny. Others say I'm strange. I'll go with your definition! It was WONDERFUL meeting you... I'm your #1 fan. Signed Kathy Bates... er Kathy T.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Squirrel Queen said...

Ah, good times.
Beverages ... I think it's my turn to buy. Great to meet you, it was my pleasure and hopefully we can meet up again soon.

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home