Tuesday, May 09, 2006

That's Just Silly

I listened to the debate over whether Indoor Comfort (formerly Cumberland Comfort and Kimbro Electric) should be allowed to build a huge electronic sign that looms over Interstate 40 near the airport and Briley Parkway. As a free speech advocate and a supporter of the advertising industry I was in favor of the idea.

But as I was driving home from the airport yesterday I saw this notice scrolling between "Spring A/C tuneup" special offers:

KENNEDY DRIVING SCHOOL
MUST BE ABLE TO SWIM
BRING YOUR OWN DRUGS

As much as I like to bash Kennedys and also support freedom of expression, that's just stupid, tacky and juvenile. Personally, I won't ever use that company again.

I'm getting crankier as I approach 40.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kat Coble said...

Ugh. I can't stand it when people use advertising space as a stumping grounds.

What they don't seem to realise is that they are wasting their advertising dollars by alienating a good many potential customers.

12:03 PM  
Blogger chuck said...

You should have seen what they had posted on the immigrant protest day. I don't mind "edgey" political and social commentary, but I do have profound opposition to divisive provocations and huge, ugly blights added to the landscape -- especially on a main approach to our community.

BTW, the company is now called Interstate AC, as I am reminded daily in 10 foot tall letters. If you think this message board look bad in the daytime, try driving westward along I-40 at night. You will not be able to avoid noticing it's piercing red illumination. As far as I'm concerned, it's an abomination and the the work of satan.

9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home