Friday, August 04, 2006

Welcome to the Nerve Center

Kerry Woo has asked me to particpipate in the "What's on your desk?" project. At first, I thought it would be an interesting idea. Then I actually stood in the corner of the 10' x 10' cell I call my office and took a picture of the rubble.
Damn, I couldn't clean this place up with a flamethrower!

Truthfully, I've always been a slob and a packrat. But I'm the guy who when somebody else needs a copy of some supplier memo from three years ago can probably find it with no more than five minutes of searching. The guy who's job I'm doing retired about two years ago. He never kept anything. He didn't have a PC. If something couldn't be cleared off his desk in 1 hour, he threw it away. If he needed it again, he asked his secretary to call somebody and fax him another copy. Or he walked down to my office and asked me to find it for him. I admire that.

I have to write everything down. Here is three years worth of notes.

I keep hard copies because I sell paper for a living. But I also back up everything to my Treo 600 since I hate to carry my glacially-slow laptop on the road with me. Plus I think it's a good gesture to be the last guy carrying notes around on paper. Believe me, my boss has used this notebook on more than one occasion while giving a disposition on various HR issues. I've got a perfect record so far in bailing him out.

Since my dad passed away last year, everyone has expected me to move into his office, which has been preserved as a shrine since he retired five years ago. I never did it, for lots of reasons. Eventually we promoted someone else to the President/CEO position at my recommendation. I'm very excited to be working with/for him. The big difficulty is that they announced he'd be moving up while I was on vacation and moved everything from my dad's office into mine on the day before the July 4th holiday under cover of darkness. I don't have anywhere to put all this stuff, and his decorating style could best be described as "Early Jetsons." Here's a little swatch of his shag carpet I preserved when they changed out the decor.

His office always reminded me of being in the back of a van. Don't ask me about my experiences in the back of a van. That's for another post.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sharon Collie said...

Are you left handed?

2:43 PM  
Blogger Nashville Knucklehead said...

"Get Paid To Look At Pictures of Peoples Desks. Look at picturs of people's desk while you get paid.

http://www.deskmob.com

2:54 PM  
Blogger ceeelcee said...

Very perceptive, Sista. But it's just another one of my stupid quirks. I was getting carpal tunnel from mousing, so I bought a wireless and switched it to the left side. I'm still nowhere close to ambidextrous, but at least I spread the damage around. I also switched the left and right click on my mouse so nobody like to borrow my computer while I'm away from my desk.

Like they would want to sit down to that mess anyway...

6:29 PM  
Blogger Sharon Collie said...

Little Known Sista Smiff Fact #1:

Ambidextrious. That explains some of the quirkiness.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

C,
I think I gotcha beat on the desk thing. Ask the Rodent Girl.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Kathy T. said...

Those are some swanky digs. I've posted my desk, too.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home