Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Scariest Thing that Happened to Me on Halloween

No, it wasn't realizing that we were almost out of candy and Play-Doh at 7:30 and were down to handing out Southwest Airline peanuts.

It was when I went to the "TiVo Recommendations" menu before I went to sleep.

TiVo has a proprietary technology that watches what you watch and reports it back to Big Brother at headquarters. That information is used to track demographic patterns and report to the networks and advertisers. That doesn't really bug me at all.

The most visible aspect of this info analysis is what TiVo chooses to record for you without your asking. They compile your viewing habits and make a profile of what you might want to see, but possibly haven't thought to record yourself.

I've had TiVo for a couple of years now and it's always been pretty easy to figure out where the recommendations come from. I record a lot of Real World/Road Rules type of shows (guilty pleasure), so I guess it's logical that TiVo chooses to offer me the highlights from MTV's Spring Break Beach House Party. Thanks for the skin, TiVo.

And I have something like fifteen hours of saved Mythbusters on the ole hard drive, so I can see where TiVo would think that I want to watch Dirty Jobs and the various Monster Garage/American Chopper/Overhaulin' incarnations. I usually "bloop bloop" them away almost immediately, but I appreciate the sentiment.

So I'm settling into bed last night to see what my digital guru has ordered up for my entertainment pleasure, and what to my wondering eyes should appear?

TiVo has recorded two solid hours of the Weather Channel for me.

Shit, I'm old.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Oh man, that hurts.

9:09 AM  
Blogger John H said...

get set for a MATLOCK marathon..whooohoooo

9:51 AM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

Ouch.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave it to childless people to hand out Play-doh on Halloween. Play-doh should be outlawed.

That'll be some exciting viewing there, Cee. You can schedule that between your Matlock AND Murder She Wrote Viewing.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Kathy T. said...

Okay, so some of the weather channel shows aren't bad. Like the we survived the massive blizzard and only lost our toes, the let's hide under this bridge so we can get sucked into the gigantic tornado, and the ocean is going away so let's run out there and see what that's about stories. But still. Damn.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Just Larry said...

My TiVo doesn't know what to do. The various tastes of the Fat clan have left it confused.

But not that confused.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After our TiVo recorded "The Golden Girls", I took away his right to record suggestions...

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home