Friday, August 11, 2006

But Who's Counting?

I had to go to a visitation yesterday after the death of a good friend's father. On the way over I realized that I have been to eight of these since my father passed away last June. Eight friends. Eight fathers. Gone. I reckon we should all get together and put a good drunk on next June 17th for Father's Day.

I remember that after my dad turned 70, it seemed like I was taking him to a friend's funeral every month. I guess it makes sense that my friends and I are reaching that age where we are supposed to become the older generation.

All I know is that when my friends' kids start turning 40, I'm taking up hang-gliding on acid. What will I have to lose?

3 Comments:

Blogger Busy Mom said...

Welcome to adulthood, eh?

1:32 PM  
Blogger Sharon Collie said...

Mr. Smiff made a comment the other day about how many of HIS contemporaries/friends have died, people he said he thought he'd be seeing around when they were old men. He thought he and Roy Huskey, Jr. would be old farts, discussing basses and heck, he's been dead almost 10 years.

On the "thirtysomething" episode where Gary died, somebody asked something to the effect if they'd ever get used to burying their friends, etc. and Elliot (the deep philosopher he was) said "We're just killing time between the funerals." It's pretty true.

1:48 PM  
Blogger Newscoma said...

Not really up for the handgliding part but driving a ferrari on acid at 65 is a goal.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home